Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Predicta Televisions


Among some of the strangest things I am interested in might be my Predicta televisions. These were built by Philco in the late 1950's. I have three of them, two are restored. I think they are beautiful pieces of art that are also functional. I wish that such thought went in to our electronic design today. I use one of them at school as a "teleconference" machine to communicate with characters from "long ago and far away." The kids are fascinated by the look. Here is a shot of my Siesta model. This one has a built in clock:




My favorite is the Pedestal model. This model has a beautiful wooden case and a 21 inch screen. The screens on all models turn. The necks and the brackets around the picture tube are brass. These televisions are difficult to restore because they had a lot of problems and run very hot, but I was fortunate enough to have a couple of real pros restore my electronics. I bought my Pedestal late one night on ebay for about $300. It needed a little cosmetic restoration and the electronics doen but it was a bargain. I repainted the yellow portion, re-did the decals, polished it up and had the brass restored. It really looks great now and works!






If you would like to find out more, try this site:

No comments: